This is the first stem that I’ve built. I did this one jigless, just counting on accurate miters to hold everything in place. That worked pretty well, except that my front clamp was about 1mm off center (fixed that with a file, but that made it slightly narrower than I wanted.
- 1″ x 0.058″ extension (9cm long), 1.125″ x 0.058″ spacer, 1.125 x 0.051″ clamp. I’d prefer to have more material on the clamp in the future, and may buy some thick wall 1.25″ stock to turn down.
- roughly 95 degree angle (not measured precisely because it doesn’t really matter)
- roughly 9cm long (same reason)
- integrated cable hanger and spacers
- non-stainless bolts for strength
- the cable hanger fully pierces the top and bottom of the stem
I haven’t fillet brazed in quite a while, and was very happy with how these joints came out. They didn’t require too much cleanup.