As I mentioned in a recent blog post I’m building a new commuter frame and fork. I’ll be moving all of the parts over from a Novara Fusion that I bought. That includes the disk brakes.
I don’t like most disk brake rigid forks because they are either straight blades or have a really ugly bend to them. I wanted to build something that looked a bit more traditional. This presents an interesting design challenge though, since disk brakes are known to “unrake” forks with a tight bend. My solution was to make some custom dropouts that extend far above the disk caliper into the more stout portion of the fork. The dropouts had the match the bend on the fork blades. I still consider this an experiment until I’ve put some hard riding on the fork.
I love the results! It still isn’t as elegant as a nice flat crowned fork with a brazed on centerpull, but it doesn’t look half bad.
The brazeon count is a bit out of control. There are eyelets near the bend for fender mounts, eyelets at the midfork and embedded into the crown for mounting a porteur rack, and a simple cable guide for keeping the brake cable out of the way.
I did use a trick. The brake is a “rear” disk brake because those are mounted inline with the dropout. “Front” ISO disk brakes are offset by 4mm from the dropout, and that wouldn’t have allowed me to make one piece for both the dropout and the disk mount. I wanted a single piece because it saved me from making a fixture for the disk brake mount or making a really complicated dropout.
NOTE: This trick doesn’t work. Read the comments for more details. I got away with it with a BB7 that is highly adjustable, but don’t think it will work with other disk brakes.
The dropout has Keith Anderson TITO stainless inserts brazed in.
Next up: finish up the new frame jig and build the frame. A rack might come out around the same time.